Skip to main content

My first speech in Toastmasters: The ice breaker

Ice Breaker

Recently i started my journey in toastmasters. It has been a wonderful experience so far. I would like to share my journey as part of this blog.

I still remember the day i woke up on the first day of hostel, my parents were not by my side. I was 10 years old, alone and terrified. I was 2nd born of 3 children in a middle class family from a small village in Andhrapradesh. My parents sent me to a residential school in hope of getting quality education for me. I struggled initially. However, slowly i learnt to be on my own. Apart from providing quality education, my residencial school also provided good sporting facilities. It was a good distraction away from home. I enjoyed playing games a lot such as kho-kho, kabaddi, vollyball, cricket, athletics etc. My interest in sports has only increased over time. I had carried out this habit of playing for the large part of my working life as well. Sports taught me the importance of team work, leadership, taking responsibility, being competitive etc.

I completed my studies and started working in Bengaluru, IT capital of India. I got my first onsite opportunity to visit Canada two. I was excited to visit a foreign country for the first time in life. 
the day i landed in canada is the day my customer filed for bankruptcy. I had six months to spend in Canada before leaving for India. So, i decided that we will roam as much as possible in the next 6 months. We were on road virtually on every weekend. We visited many places in Canada. 
That experience made me fall in love with traveling. I returned back to india after 6 months. From then onwards, every decision i took, i made sure that i pickup an option that involves travel. I did mba abroad and took up a job that involved travel. Since then i had traveled to 7-8 countries and many cities in India. Travel teaches something new every time, be it experiencing new cultures, languages, food habits, ways of life. Had many humbling experiences that gave me new perspectives about life. 

I was playing on weekends, traveling to places whenever possible. Life was good. but then, 3 years ago, i met with a knee injury. It took me a month to standup again and 2 months to walk. I was devastated because the injury may not allow me to play again.  One of my friend suggested me to try yoga. I had an impression that yoga is for old people only. I tried yoga as i felt i had no other option. After practicing yoga and meditation for few months, i started realizing unexpected changes in me. I was calmer, clear in my thought, most of the negative emotions in my life had subsided and I became more empathetic towards other people. More importantly, i was able to run after an year. 

Today, i still play and travel whenever possible, meditate to keep myself calm and i look forward to many more exciting phases in my life. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you lose your job?

More than 1 lakh tech employees were laid off so far in 2023. Some close associates of mine who got great academic credentials and stellar careers so far are part of the downsizing. This is particularly affecting mid-career IT professionals who spent a decade or two in the IT industry, built skills in a niche industry or technology areas, and are unable to look for alternative careers at this juncture of life. Moreover, such professionals are most likely married with kids, would have purchased a property or two under loan and also take care of their aging parents.  Preparing for job loss can be a difficult and stressful experience. However, following steps, you can take to prepare yourself both financially and emotionally. Build up your savings:  Start saving as much money as you can to build up an  emergency fund  that can support you for at least a few months in case of job loss. This will help you cover your basic expenses until you can secure a new job. Update your resume and profi

Future is AI

Recently OpenAI has made Chat GPT public and it is already shaking the tech world. Students are using chat GPT for their assignments, digital marketers are using it for content creation and so on. Lets look at how AI could possibly impact the world in the next decade. One of the most significant areas where AI is expected to make an impact is healthcare. AI-powered diagnostic tools, such as image and speech recognition software, will help doctors identify illnesses and diseases more quickly and accurately. Additionally, virtual assistants and chatbots will be used to help patients manage their symptoms and connect with healthcare providers. These tools will not only improve patient outcomes, but also reduce costs for healthcare systems. Recently OpenAI has made Chat GPT public and it is already shaking the tech world. Students are using chat GPT for their assignments, digital marketers are using it for content creation and so on. Lets look at how AI could possibly impact the world in t

What story you want to tell?

I will tell you a story. There was a village in a remote area in India. It was ruled by an evil land lord. People in that region are terrified and pray to god to send someone to save them.  There  enters the hero  from somewhere. He encounters heroine by mistake and falls in love. He spends time romancing    her for some time. Then comes confrontation with villian.  F ight starts  between protagonist and the  villain . Each devising strategies to take down each other. Finally comes a moment when a person very dear to hero was killed by  villain  very cruelly. And hero takes revenge on villian and saves the village. Sounds familiar?  I saw this story hundreds of times in different languages with a different hero, heroine, villain, different place, different time.  I like watching movies as it was my favourite source of entertainment from my childhood.  There came my curiosity about story telling. How can people watch / read stories with same plot again and again?  I starte